Friday, May 24, 2019

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

In the midst of working on two 60-hour professional development courses I decided to make a stuffed rabbit.  Not just any stuffed rabbit, but Edward Tulane.  In the spring our class was reading "The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane" and it seemed like having a "real" rabbit who changed as the book progressed would make it more interesting for the class.
Edward as himself.
Thankfully I found a rabbit panel at the thrift store just before I started looking at patterns.  Actually, the sewing helped keep my sanity during the early weeks of the courses as well.  The panel included a dress and pantaloons, which I used as a loose idea for the various changes of clothing for Edward.
Edward as Susanna
The pants made from a handkerchief was the most fun.  I used a real handkerchief!
Edward as Jangles
 The kids seemed to look forward to seeing what Edward would look like each day.  One little girl asked me if I re-colored the clothes each day.
Edward at the end of his journey
Fast forward to the end of the school year and I remade the dress to be the right color for the story and I found the book on CD at the book sale at the local library.
I hope next year's class enjoys him as much as this year's class.
I got it all packaged up and gifted Edward and his wardrobe and the CD set to my lead teacher as a thank you.  It is one of her favorites and seemed appropriate.

Linking up to Confessions of a Fabric Addict to share finishes.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not familiar with the book, I will have to check it out. Great job making the book come alive for the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun sanity project! A great way to keep the kids engaged.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!