Friday, May 31, 2019

Sea Glass at the Beach

This quilt turned out amazing.  It is definitely one of my all time favorites that I have made.  It challenged me and I met the challenge - mostly.

My job this past school year was as associate teacher.  My lead teacher's daughter was expecting her first child.  They knew it was a boy and her theme was beach, but not nautical.  I poked around the internet to see what ideas were out there for quilts in sea glass colors.  Quite a few it turns out.  I liked the movement of the Snails Trail variation of Storm at Sea.

I went with my normal MO - make it up as I go along!  I started with the Snails Trail blocks.  I watched quite a few tutorials and realized that there is definitely no right way or best way or easiest way to make them.  So I just started with the center and worked my way around until it was pleasing to my eye.  I had to trim them square at every step, which was very time consuming, but ensured that the "curves" were smooth.

Then I figured out the sashing using my tri-rec rulers.  I didn't get the side points very accurate, but they are consistently not accurate if that counts!  I had run out of some of the colors I used in the Snail Trail so had to add more scraps into the mix, but I think it came out okay.

Lastly, were the corner stones.  Which took a few tries to get the right size, but once I had the correct center square they were easy.

Playing with a layout for the center.
Once the pieces were made the center all went together easily and the movement that I wanted is definitely there.  The border was harder because I wasn't sure what I wanted.  I ended up with piano keys which took about every last scrap of anything remotely a sea glass color.

Before scallops.
Then the corners which were a spur of the moment idea that worked once I got the math right.  I think the uniformity of the corners tidies up all the scrappiness of the rest of it.


 I had no idea how to quilt it, so I just did a giant spiral with the walking foot.

I have always wanted to make a scalloped border.  I finished a quilt for a friend once that already had the scallops cut, but this time I had to figure out the spacing on my own.  I marked and cut the scallops after it was quilted and it was relatively easy.  The binding was the same fabric of the star points and the edge of the corners and is just the right touch.

All in all I am very pleased with how it came out.  My sister who doesn't usually make comment on my quilts even said she liked it.  That is high praise.
Extra diamonds on the back.
I gave it to my lead teacher and she was pleased.  She later said her daughter liked it.  This is one of those situations where I don't know if it will be appreciated for its value as a quilt or not, but it is what I felt I should do.

Little S and I went to the beach to take pictures.  It was a windy day, but I love the way the colors show against the sand and sky.

Linking up to Confessions of a Fabric Addict to show off finishes.

7 comments:

  1. Wow! Your quilt is so beautiful! I am a sucker for sea glass colors and love this pattern. The scalloped border finishes it off in style. Snail Trail is on my list of blocks to make and you may have inspired me to make it sooner rather than later. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous! The center and the border look gorgeous together. That would have been a hard quilt for me to let go of. Hope it's well loved in its new home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand why this is one of your all time favorites. IT IS BEAUTIFUL!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your quilt! I also tend to plan as my quilts as I go, so I can really relate to the feeling. I am a big fan of both snail trail and storm at seas, so I might steal some of your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous quilt AND quilting!! What a lucky baby!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How adorable is that quilt!!! You did a great job at every stage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this quilt!! The spiral quilting is perfect because it give so much movement to the quilt. I love the scalloped edge too--I haven't done that but it adds to the quilt so much. Perfection!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!