Thursday, July 26, 2018

Thankful Thursday

Sewing + Teaching = Joy !!

I am so very thankful that my hobby blends well with my God-given talent.

I have immensely enjoyed the opportunity to experiment with teaching a sewing class this summer.  I have taught sewing before so it wasn't a brand new experience, but with the exception of sewing projects in the classroom I have not taught sewing here in the United States.  I didn't know if there was in interest and I am not good at marketing myself.

A few of  the ladies grace the opening pages.
When we lived in Guatemala I had a group of women and teens (from a children's home) who came to my house to learn to sew.  We made baby quilts that the church gave to each baby when they were dedicated in church to represent the spiritual covering of the church over each baby. 
A received our first quilt in 1997.  Her first quilt was stolen from the public bus, so we made her another.

Over the years we made hundreds of baby quilts of all colors and styles.  As the abilities increased the designs became more complicated. When we got new women in the group the designs got a bit easier again.  The color combinations depended on what fabrics had been donated.  My favorites were always when someone donated a box of little scraps.  I just love scraps!
Four sisters and their quilts!

As the women really learned to sew and I could tell that they would use their skill either for income or to serve others I gave them a machine.  My favorite story was of one woman who lived in a small village and immediately started making quilts for babies born in her community.  When we left Guatemala I made sure that all the remaining machines & fabric were placed in good hands.  It had all been donated, so it was the right thing to do. 
Three generations.  My MIL, me, Little S working on Grown Up R's Quinceanos Quilt in 2008.

When we left Guatemala one young woman in the group made a photo album of as many kids as she could find and took their picture as big kids (the oldest was 13!!) and paired it with the photo taken when they received their baby quilt and a message from the parents.  As precious as that album is, it is hard to look at because I cry every time.  This post is taking me down memory lane and I had to go back and look at it and include a few of those photos.
Fast forward to 2018.  O is an amazing seamstress, with great attention to detail.

Yesterday was the last day of my experimental summer sewing class so it reminded me of other sewing experiences in the past.  It also makes me think about the next step on this sewing adventure and there are so many ideas that it is keeping me awake at night!  I still don't have a job lined up for the upcoming school year, but I keep applying as openings become available and remain hopeful.  Maybe sewing in the schools needs to make a comeback!!

Thankful today for the women of all ages with whom I have been able to share the love of sewing.


1 comment:

  1. What a touching story. Just think of all those lives you have touched with your gift. I hope you find a place to land for work and that it fulfills your dreams!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!