Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Whatever Wednesday 062718

The impromptu sorting/purging/reorganizing of my work space is as done as it is likely to get.

Removed all the little boxes, bins and baskets from on top of and underneath the cutting table.  More work space on top and I'm able to fit the scrapbook paper underneath now instead of being in the middle of the room.
 Where most of the action takes place!

The shelf that is closest to where I work is better, but still holds things that do not need to be front and center.  At least I can get to the things without having to move 5 other boxes.  The bins under the window are non-quilty things.
 This area still need works, but is better.

The shelf for photos is much better.  I even have a little bit of "decor" happening on top!
A good reminder that I need to get some photos in albums - then they'll be more space for sewing!

Shelf #1 in the closet.  The bottom shelf is still exclusively my mother's stash.  Yes, after 5 years I still keep it separate.  Second from the bottom is all flannel - how did I get that much flannel? Third from the bottom is Christmas, my mother's sewing notes & ideas, and black & gray cotton that didn't fit on shelf #2.  Top shelf and top of shelf is misc sewing/craft stuff organized by like items.
Shelf #1

Shelf #2 is my quilting cotton with a small 1/2 section of felt.  I took it all off and put it all back on and purged fabrics that were not appropriate for quilting or I was very unlikely to ever use.  (Check out the June Giveaway!) You would think this would keep me busy for a while!!  Since I got several piles of fabric off the closet floor I can now fit the borrowed sewing machines in there and out from underfoot.
Shelf #2
More stuff.  Some has sentimental value, some is for random crafts/sewing.  The bins had already been organized on a previous reorganization of the room, but this is a better place for them - I think.
Misc supplies

I can actually see the sewing table.  Got rid of all the little boxes, bins and baskets from here too.  The mending pile underneath still needs attention as does the machine my neighbor gave me a few months ago.  I am hoping to have it up and running for the sewing class this afternoon.
Work can happen here.

I use Bonnie Hunter's scrap saver system to manage 90% of my scraps.  It helps a lot to be able to just reach in and pull the right size strip or precut squares.  Those are the bins on the left - 1.5", 2", 2.5" strips and squares.  I already had a drawer for smaller strips as well.  But now I also have a drawer for larger strips and squares and all sizes of triangles.  I moved over the drawers of larger scraps (approx FQ size) and corralled all the WIPs into 2 drawers along with orphan blocks.  So all the scrap fabric options are mostly within an arm's reach of each other.
Usable Scraps

Then there are the drawers of ribbon, trim, lace, Dear Jane, bulky craft stuff and scrapbook makings.
Craft supplies
And this odd assortment of containers needs to find a new home.  Woo hoo!
Heading out!

Now that I have work space on the table and on the floor and have easy access to all of my supplies I need to settle down and get something finished.  Either that or cook dinner for my family!

Linking up to Jo's Country Junction Whatever Wednesday to show something we have done.

3 comments:

  1. First give yourself a minute to sit and enjoy the results of your hard work! Then you can focus on projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes a good clean is just the right thing👏

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!