Wednesday, June 20, 2018

The Tip of the Iceberg - a box of whites!

It was not my intent to completely reorganize my sewing/project room.  It really wasn't.  Even though I was having a very hard time doing anything because I had to go through layers and layers of other projects and supplies to get to what I needed I had not figured out what to do about it except wait for College E to go back to college in August so I could use her room again.

Supposedly for photos.
I was just trying to clean up and put things away.  We had a yard sale 2 weeks ago so that College E could do a deep cleaning of things she doesn't need now that she has successfully completed her freshman year and knows what she needs to move forward.  But that left me to deal with the remains and the reality that she is still back home and I still can't use her room to store my scrapbooking supplies.  Don't get me wrong - I would MUCH MUCH rather have her than space.
Empty boxes and empty shelf space.

So I was trying to figure out how to incorporate some of the storage pieces that she was no longer using that I thought I might use.  One thing led to another ...  If I had known where this was heading I would have taken some before photos (these are halfway photos)!

I can see the top of the table again.
In finding a place for the small plastic drawer units (I love plastic drawer units!!) I took out odd plastic shoe boxes to make space.  One box had assorted white scraps.  I must have thought that if whites were separate I would be able to use them more easily.  They were odd sizes and I know the Dear Jane quilt uses odd sizes, so I would guess it was related to that.  But ... it was tucked away and I had no memory of it being there so it wasn't being used.

A work in progress, but definitely making progress.

Little S and I watch movies in the evenings in the summer when we can, but I can not sit still while watching.  So I took the box of whites and ironed and cut them down to usable sizes to get added to my drawers of precut strips and squares.  You can see off to the right the progression of sizes.  I mostly use 1.5", 2", and 2.5" but if the scrap is just enough for a 3" - 5" square I will just trim to size and save that size as well.  I can cut those down later to smaller if needed or use them large. I also keep strips that are just under 1.5" to use for strip piecing.
The tip of the iceberg - dealing with the "white" box!

I was also able to destash some fabrics that were not appropriate for quilting (left of the iron) and lots of slivers. Every little bit out helps, right?

Mending & "what do I do with this?" goes under this table.

48 hours later I have a bigger mess than ever, but I now have a plan and I think sewing and scrapbooking are going to be able to coexist in one room.  I also think I'm really going to like it. 

Linking up to Jo's Country Junction to show whatever we are working on! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!