Monday, June 4, 2018

Design Floor Monday 060418

I finally made a plan for the baby quilt for our new niece.  We didn't know the gender in advance so I had a good excuse for putting it off.

Isn't she sweet!
I had originally wanted to make something different but my level of concentration is not that great right now so I went with Bonnie Hunter's Little Monkey.  I had made these before and I knew that each block stands alone and doesn't have to be super matchy or coordinated. 
Almost final layout
I also wanted to use scraps I had bought back from my MIL last time we were in Guatemala and some of them were on the smallish side, so this actually ended up being perfect.  I just picked my basic color scheme and ran with it.  I was able to use some leftover HSTs and lots of bits of this and that.  I dug into my drawers of strips/squares and didn't have to cut anything at all from yardage.  Does that make it a FREE quilt?

The white sashing is a shirt from my FIL.  When he passed I asked my MIL for some of his dress shirts.  She sews and she understood.  Last summer I was able to use one of them in College E's college quilt.

Next step is sew it all togther.  I use Bonnie Hunter's webbing technique and it goes together easy peasy.

Then to decide on borders.  I have another shirt from my FIL that I think will be perfect for an inner border, but will require some careful math first.  There is no rush, since I don't know when we are going to get down to Guatemala to see the cutie.

Linking up to Small Quilts and Doll Quilts to show what we are working on.

1 comment:

  1. Your new niece is PRECIOUS!! Congratulations! The Little Monkey blocks look great and I think it will be perfect for her.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!