Thursday, June 28, 2018

Thankful Thursday 062818

Today I am thankful for girls interested in sewing.  I used to think that maybe sewing was a dying art, but with all that I see on the internet and the fact that in the past month two young girls have asked to learn to sew I am encouraged.  Good old hands-on crafting is going strong. 

This week in our class we made pillowcases.  I thought that all the straight line sewing would be good practice, but the finished product would be super exciting to have, use and show off.
A happy sewer or sewist?

They did everything themselves, except cut and pin.
Lining up the edges just right.
Unfortunately if it isn't straight you have to unsew.  We learn by our mistakes, right?  She asked if this was where the expression "As you sew, so shall you rip" came from.  That's a different sowing and reaping, but great application of the phrase!
No complaints,. She just got it done.
The funniest thing for me is how much they like to iron.
No burned fingers.
She wants an iron for her birthday!
Keeping the edge of the foot on the edge of the fabric.

In our two hour time period they did in fact each get a pillowcase finished, even with some unsewing!  This class is a trial to see how I could do an official class with real customers.  I think we could have had one more person today, but I can see that the skill level definitely dictates the size of the class.
Sweet dreams tonight, girls!  Nicely done!!
I am thankful to be able to share my love of sewing and my skills with a new generation!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!