Saturday, December 17, 2016

Tooth Fairy Pillow Tutorial

The hardest part of this project was deciding what size to make the pillow.  I made the tooth first and then went with what was visually pleasing to me.

Also, for the sake of finishing in one sitting I recommend making the tooth in advance.  I used white felt and black fabric paint.  It dried overnight and was ready when I was.  

My pillow finished at approximately 9.5" x 7.5".  

First cut 2 pieces of fabric 8.5" x 10". Or one piece 10" x 16" and save yourself a seam.

Position the tooth on the right side of one piece of fabric (or fold your larger piece of  fabric in half and with the fold on the bottom position the tooth).
Sew the tooth on three sides leaving the top open.  I used a fancy buttonhole stitch on machine just because I never had used it before and this was a nice trial.  My original plan was just a straight stitch which would have worked fine.

Cut 2 pieces of 3/4" or 1" wide grosgrain ribbon 18" long.  Position them 2" in from the upper corners.


Make sure they are inside the pillow and don't get caught in the seam when you sew the edges.  Don't ask me how I know that!!
Place the 2 pieces right sides together (or fold the bottom up to the top if you used a single larger piece of fabric) again making sure the ribbons are not in the seam line.  Pin them inside if in doubt. 
Sew around all open sides leaving an opening of 2"-3" for turning and stuffing on one end.  Clip corners and turn right side out. Press. 
Stuff lightly.  Make sure to get stuffing all the way into the corners.
Sew opening shut by hand. 
Enjoy!

I made this because a friend wanted to learn to sew on her machine and wanted to make a tooth fairy pillow.  This sample went to my nephew who absolutely loved it and wore it around his neck for most of Thanksgiving.

My friend used these basic guidelines, but made hers with the front out of a fun focus fabric and the back out of a solid.  She also skipped the ribbon and made it be just a pillow.  I love the flexibility to make it be whatever you want.

1 comment:

  1. Sweet! The Tooth Fairy will be impresed when she does her rounds.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!