Friday, December 30, 2016

A Finish for Lucy

Grown Up R adopted a cat a few weeks ago.  Lucy is older and had probably been given away when her owner was no longer able to care for her. She had been in the shelter for a year. Poor thing.  She is calm and friendly and doesn't cause any trouble for R which is the important thing.
Lucy, such a pretty cat.

I had a few odd cat fabrics and thought I'd make Lucy her own little quilt to protect where she sleeps.  I didn't get it done before Christmas so I gave R a promise I'd do it.   She thought about it and then requested a pillowcase instead of a quilt. 

I thought of the Puss in the Corner block but wasn't sure how it would look with the odd fabrics I had.  No problem.  I forged ahead a few blocks at a time and that gave me guidance for what other colors I needed to work in for balance.  My center block was dictated by the smallest piece of cat fabric I had on hand - 4" cut.  The side rectangles were 4" x 2.5" and the corners were 2.5" squares.  Some fabrics I used up completely and that was good!
Sorry for the blur. And this was my only shot before it was sewn up.
Despite the lack of a plan it turned out to be just the right size.  I picked a lining from my mother's stash which sight unseen was also just the right size.  I did not add batting.  I just sewed in the ditch on all the horizontal rows to securely attach the front to the lining.  
Top of the quilted panel.

Then I followed pillowcase instructions - kind of.  I knew a French seam would be too thick so I bound the seam with the same lining.  It worked perfectly.  Then I bound the opening with left over binding from another project.  
Lower part of the pane.  I like the lion square.  It can be her "dare to dream" block.

My goal was for it to be easily washable, but it actually turned out to be completely reversible.  The lining can even be folded back over the front to form a duff.   This has great potential for future pillowcases.   
She seems to like it!

Linking up with Confessions of a Fabric Addict and Crazy Mom Quilts to show off finishes.

3 comments:

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!