Monday, December 5, 2016

Jean Quilt Progress

This commissioned project is moving right along.  Thankfully I have spurts of time, because the heavy duty aspect of dealing with the jeans makes it tiring and perfect for little spurts.

Deconstructing and cutting took over 30 minutes per pair of jeans.  Kind of surprising.  Glad I had the stopwatch going.  I got 16 8" squares from each pair of jeans and 4 8" squares from each pair of shorts. After I took out the squares that were stained or had a hole per the client's wishes, I had 96 squares to work with.

An 8 x 12 layout.  Just a tad under what I had hoped for.

I knew I would have a good chunk of time on Sunday afternoon, so I made sure to be ready to lay it all out and web it together.  It was surprising how many of the denims were so close in color.  But I think I got the colors and pockets "randomized" pretty well.  It is very heavy as I suspected it would be.

The client wants batting, but it will be very thin.  She also recently saw a denim that is lightweight that she would like for backing instead of the solid blue cotton that had been her first choice. She says it isn't chambray, but looks like denim.  I think I'm going to have to go to the fabric store and ask a lot of questions.

Does anyone know anything about a lightweight denim???

Check out Patchwork Times to see what others are working on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!