Friday, June 21, 2019

A Week of Finishes

I was so busy sewing I didn't write about it.  That's a good thing!

With both my hosting the family gathering and the professional development class over somehow I just felt like my summer had begun and I hit the sewing full swing. I took on the drawer of random precut pieces and leftovers.  This was probably the slowest way to work though the stash, but I am attracted to the puzzle of it.  So I attacked the stack of squares - all sizes from 4" - 6".  Smaller squares are in yet a different spot because there are more of the smaller sizes.
Billowing in the breeze.
I had been eyeing the the peachy colored ones for a while (years) and I have been thinking of D9P lately as well, so that was that.  I picked the aqua w/ little peach colored flowers for the border, but had a hard time finding something in the stash to go with that to made the centers of the 9-patches which would end up being the small squares.  The Sea Glass quilt I made this spring really used up a lot of aqua and turquoise from the stash.  I finally decided on this solid bright aqua.  I wasn't convinced it was right as I was sewing, but I love the finished product and how those little squares pop right out visually.  I had to add a few more peachy squares, but otherwise this is all stash.  A backing from the stash is already set aside as well.
Patriotic
There were a lot of squares in the drawer in the blue family.  I went with a diagonal layout on this one and added some touches of red and white.  The red and a single blue square were the only ones I had to add from the stash.  The borders were nothing fancy and finish it up to a nice lap or baby quilt size.
You can sure see where I had to piece the border.  Oh well.  Done is good.


Then there was the curtain quilt.  Technically it didn't come out of the drawer, but I did do it this week.  I was cleaning out the girls' linen closet and came upon a set of lined valances we had not used in a very long time.  Since I was recently informed that purple/lilac was no longer a favorite it was unlikely they would be used again.  They were not in great shape to pass on so I decided to cut up the usable parts.  Since I had been thinking of D9P the fact that they were lined was perfect.  I was able to quickly find a fabric that would be a good border and backing so that led me to the light blue centers.  After I got the center finished it turned out that the border fabric was not so good for a border after all.  I found another purple to use.  It is a little darker than the center, but it works.  Unfortunately there was not enough of the light blue to use as a small inner border.  It isn't perfect, but it is done.

I was really pleased with my stick-with-it-ness on these.  I even got another D9P prepped with the yellows from the drawer.  I think I had truly been hoarding them because they were just so pretty.  So I can work on that one easily enough next week.

Linking up to Confessions of a Fabric Addict to show off finishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!