Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Mommy's Christmas Stockings

Many, many years ago when I was born my aunt, who was 11 years older then my mother, knit a stocking for me.   My mother, who was very clever, then copied that stocking when my siblings came along.  As we got married she made them for our spouses and then for the grandchildren.  One year she even bartered stockings for my sister's wedding rehearsal dinner!

Each stocking is slightly different since she only copied whichever stocking she had access to when she needed to make another.  We always joked that she favored my brother since his stocking was huge.  He literally grew into it with a size 13 foot!  Little S gets the same grief among my kids.  But she came along much later and I'm sure by then my mother did not remember what size needles she had used or any of the details.

We have lived in a lot of places around the world but no matter how limited our access to comforts might be I have always made sure we had our stockings at Christmas. 

Does anyone have a pattern for these stockings that you might share or know where I could get it?  I don't knit but College R knows the basics and the nieces as well. Maybe by the time we need more stockings someone will be able to make them.
Have blessed Christmas everyone.

Showing off Christmas memories/crafts/projects and linking up to Quiltville

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!