Sunday, January 14, 2018

Stash Report 011418

Instead of going to the thrift store for therapy Friday after work, I stayed home and sewed for therapy.  Much more productive.

I finished the Carnival Auction Quilt top and backing.  The teacher likes to show the students each step of the quilting process, so I will get the flimsy and backing to her to show off and then I'll quilt it when it comes back.
My helper wasn't quite tall enough!

I like this a lot.  I went way out of my comfort zone on the blocks and then stretched myself more by trying to use up blocks that were abandoned years ago as an outer pieced border.  They worked perfectly.  I was nervous about the math to get the borders right, but it turned out to be easy and worked the first time. I considered adding another round of pieced border blocks, since there are plenty, but it is big enough.

I had to piece the backing and it isn't my favorite, but it will do.  Apparently I had plenty of small green pieces of fabric, but not much that was large.  The focus is the front with the kids' drawings so the backing doesn't much matter on this one.

The center of the quilt was already counted out when I finished that a few weeks ago, so now I will count out the borders and backing.

Fabric Purchased this week: 0 yards
Fabric Purchased YTD: 4.81 yards

Fabric Used this week: 3.35 yards for carnival quilt borders and backing
Fabric Used YTD: 9.64 yards

Total: 4.83 yards used

I have also been trying to sew for 15 minutes each day.  This was easier before I went back to work, but this past week I have still been able to make it happen.

January 1-13 13/13 days of sewing 

Linking up to quiltpaintcreate to stay accountable and Life in Pieces to keep track of those 15 minutes. 

4 comments:

  1. Looks great. I did a couple quilts like that for my son's classes when he was little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a very fun quilt! The checkered border makes a very nice frame for all the artwork. Congrats on managing the stash and finding time to stitch. Neither are easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that quilt and the idea that a teacher is showing the process step by step. Your design is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute quilt. I'm so happy to hear that you used some extra blocks to make your borders. I love it when it all works out so well. Hope you show the backing after you quilt it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!