Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Tasty Tuesday - Overnight Breakfast Casserole

My school does a breakfast potluck the last full week of school before the winter break.  Every day a different grade level or area brings food for the building.  We are divided into K-2 in one building and 3-6 in the other, so it isn't for hundreds of people - just 50 or so!  

I remembered a crockpot breakfast casserole recipe that a coworker had given me years ago when I was expecting overnight company.  We liked it, but I had not made it since.  I also did not have the recipe on hand anymore.  So, I searched and found a similar one that looked perfect since I didn't want to get up early and put it all together and then have to wait for it to cook and I had loaned my crockpot to my sister and didn't have it back yet.  https://momspark.net/overnight-cheesy-sausage-and-hashbrown-breakfast-casserole-recipe/

Overnight Cheesy Sausage and Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole

2 c shredded mild cheddar cheese

1 30 oz bag frozen shredded hash browns

2 lb breakfast sausage (spicy if desired)

2 c milk

8 medium eggs

1/4 t onion powder

1/4 t garlic powder

1 t salt

1/2 t pepper


Preheat oven to 350F (if making the casserole the day of).

In a large frying pan, cook sausage until brown.  Drain and set aside.

In same frying pan, lightly brown hash browns.  Then place hash browns in greased 13x9 casserole.

Top with sausage and cheese.

In medium bowl whisk eggs, milk, and all spices until combined.  Pour over casserole mixture.

Cover casserole dish with foil and place in refrigerator overnight.

Bake uncovered at 350F for 40 minutes or until cheese starts to bubble and brown at top.

Notes: I allowed more than 40 minutes since it was starting from cold, but I didn't need to.  

It was a hit at school and someone asked for the recipe even.  That rarely happens when I cook.  Little S asked for some, but there were no leftovers, so I made it again for us.  Yummmy.  I made it again after Christmas, but did not allow it to sit overnight and it was just as good.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!