Sunday, January 9, 2022

Stash Report 010922 - Kid Masks

Nothing in again this week. Woo hoo!

I am working on another round of masks for Teacher E's kindergarteners so that was quite a bit out.  She is a first year teacher in a Title 1 school in Georgia where masks are required at school.  We made masks for her class when she interned and kept making for her own class this year.  When she realized that the siblings of her students were also using the masks she gave them and that the other kindergarten classes had just as much need we just kept making.  

I think these went to her internship class.

Her class got fun masks in Aug/Sept.  All the kindergarteners got fall themed masks in October.  All the kindergarteners and many teachers got Christmas masks in December.  I got smart and had Valentine masks ready for when I saw her at Christmas so I wouldn't have to ship them.  Now I am working on spring masks.   

Fun masks for Aug/Sept.

For kid masks I use a variation of The Midnight Baker 3D mask.  I actually worked out 4 different sizes depending on the grade level I am making for.  The students have said that these are the most comfortable and fit the best of any they have tried.

We made over 500 kids masks for the Blessings in a Backpack program.

When we got the request for masks for Blessings in a Backpack, we started an assembly line process and that helps me a lot.  I cut and sew the first round.  One sister flips, pokes out the corners, and makes the elastic pieces with matching beads so that they are adjustable.  My other sister irons them.  Then they come back to me for the final stitching and adding the elastic.   

Made for my class last year after we read Love That Dog.

More students are coming back to school, so the numbers keep going up.   For fall we needed 75, but at Christmas 80 was not enough.  For Valentines I made 127 since they are expecting even more to come back for the next semester.  For spring I'm just going to make as much as the supplies allow.   I tend to use more of my personal stash for her masks since I have more fun fabrics than are in the general mask project stash.  I am running out of fun boy fabric though.

Still to be sewn.
I cut a good amount of small kid masks early this week, but didn't sew them.  I figured I would do that when my energy and focus was low after school started back up.  That worked well.  We went back to school on Thursday and I was exhausted.  So I sewed the first round on some of these Thursday and Friday evening.  I timed myself and it take just under 1 minute to sew one.  2.4 yards of my stash out

Fabric In This Week: 0 yards

Fabric In YTD: 0 yards

Fabric Out This Week: 2.4 yards

Fabric Out YTD: 2.51 yards

Stash Movement: 2.51 yards out


And .....  I sewed or made forward progress on a sewing project 7/7 days this week!  

Any ideas what to do with thousands of corners?  Most are 1.5 inches on the short sides.  Some are 1.75 inches.  Half of them are flannel.  I have tried making HST, but it is too fiddly and too small for me. There are at least 2 gallon ziploc bags full.  I rarely throw anything away, but I'm ready to get rid of these.   I need a good idea or I'd happily send to anyone who can use them.

Linking up to Kate at Life in Pieces to share progress.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Good job!
    Wish my school required masks. We are feeling the effects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish my school/state did too. Last year it was mandatory and I made the kids masks so they were comfortable to wear. This year I don't dare say anything.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!