Monday, January 19, 2015

Spinning Octagons - Back at 'Em

Design Wall Monday 011914

I got to the end of my Leaders & Enders so had to get another leader & ender project.  This was actually my L&E project  a while back .  I got a few done  but then it got pushed aside for some reason. Now it is back on the front burner.  Since I just yesterday finished sewing my previous L&Es into a quilt top I am now at a lull between big projects.  So I just worked an these for a bit by themselves.
You can see a few of my Dear Jane blocks on the far right around the corner.
I am trying to decide whether to make the entire block which next has 3 rounds of pineapple strips surrounding the star or leave them as is.  Then there is the question of how many.  The quilt in the book uses 42 blocks with no borders.  I'm not sure I have 42 blocks in me - and that is a huge quilt.  For now I think I will make 12 stars and then think on the pineapple step.  I have plenty of 1.5" strips to work with/use up so that step does have some appeal.

 Head on over to Patchwork Times to see what others are working on.

4 comments:

  1. I love how the center of those stars spin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great block. Love the movement in each one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an involved block. I wouldn't try for 42 either. But they sure are fun. What book did the pattern come from? I find myself making my leader/ender projects the main project when I'm more interested in it or close to the end. The cool thing about L/E's is it really works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Love With Quilts Published by Leisure Arts, Inc 1993 ISBN #0-942237-26-9
      The quilt is really called Star of the Orient, but when I started it as a L&E project I only had one block and a bag of pieces. Much later I unearthed the book to go with it!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!