Saturday, January 3, 2015

My Clever Daughter

College R had several craft projects in mind to do while she was home. 

One project was a chalkboard with an ornate frame for her dorm room door.  Ornate frame was not in the college budget, but we found a nice ornate wooden cut out frame for crafting not framing. Not sure if that makes sense. It was in the wood aisle, not the frame aisle. She and Little S gave it 2 coats of bright yellow from my craft stash. For the chalkboard part she covered foam core with chalkboard contact paper both of which  I had access to at work.  Then hot glued the back to the frame and done! The effect she wanted for a fraction of the cost   Less than $3 since the only thing she had to buy was the frame.   The hard part was finding chalk.  She had to go to more than 5 stores before she found regular stick chalk.  Chalkboard crafts seem to be in so why is it so hard to find chalk?!?! 

The other project was 3 round mirrors in frames covered with artificial flowers.  She asked me to be looking for round frames at thrift stores but I had only found one. I was willing to give up 2 round frames I had in use.  But turns out you can buy lightweight round wooden frames in a variety of sizes in the wreath aisle. This was better for the dorms since it has to hang from command strips and can't be too heavy. Flowers were on clearance.  Got mirrors also.  At the next store found cheaper mirrors so at the third store returned the mirrors.   It was a LONG day!

Before the evening was done she had the flowers glued down nicely and the mirrors glued onto the back. Ribbon from my stash for hangars for everything.  The 3 decorated mirrors were about $15 all together. Not bad. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!