Sunday, January 11, 2015

Stash Report 011115

Working on the carnival auction quilt for Little S's class.   They got a new student after I had the center sewn together, so I need to take out the teacher's square and move it to the back and add in the new square when I get it.  The borders are not sewn down in that corner yet.
Sorry - it's a little yellowy since the pic was taken inside at night.

Last year I made the carnival auction quilt for the same teacher through funny circumstances .  When we found out that Little S had that teacher this year I had to laugh at the coincidence.  I told her right away that I would make the quilt and we planned a quilt "trunk show" for the class.   The kids got to touch, sit on, feel different battings, and compare quilting techniques.  Then they got to lay out their own designs with fabric squares.  They loved it.

The kids used fabric markers to draw a design on a block for the auction quilt.  I am using up stash and decided to go with the gingham.  (Last year I used solids, but this year I just don't have enough brights.)  At first I thought maybe it was too babyish for 3rd grade, but with the stronger colors in there also I think it is fine.  To be quite honest I know that - unfortunately, based on last year's experience - it will not make enough $ to make an added investment worthwhile.  The general public does not know what quilts are really worth.

I am happy with it.  It was a challenge to myself to try a different border treatment than what  I usually go with.  In my mind I knew it would work with this quilt and these fabrics.  I had to get the measurements of the inner and pieced borders right.  I wanted to see if I could do it without too much trouble and I did.  I like math which is maybe why I like the piecing aspect of quilting so much.

Anyways, here's the bottom line on the quilt top:

Fabric Used This Week:  2.44 yards  for auction quilt
Fabric In (Bought/Received) This Week: 0 yards 
Total In 2015: 0  yards
Net Used 2015:  7.44 yards

Linking up to Patchwork Times  to show how we are doing on busting the stash this year! 

3 comments:

  1. What a fun idea for working with kids and making quilts. Cute quilt. Good stash numbers for the year too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute quilt! It is sad what all the imports have done to the appreciation of quilts.
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a really fun quilt. Even though it might not generate the $ we all wish it would, you are using your stash and that is good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!