Friday, January 23, 2015

Friday Finish 012315

Grandma's Scrappy Mountain Majesties

This started back in September as an attempt to make a dent in my mothers stash and test Bonnie Hunter's theory that if it is still ugly you didn't cut it small enough!  I used her free pattern for Scrappy Mountain Majesties.

Little S helped me choose colors.  She ironed. I cut and sewed the initial HST.  Then little by little I cut the HST into 4 strips each and pinned each set together.  That was when I discovered that sewing the 4 strips together was a great leader & ender project.   

When I got low on strips for L&Es I would cut more HSTs into strips.  They even went with me to the out of town regional swim meet with Middle E.  Mindless cutting in the hotel - perfect.

When I had a big pile done I ironed them and separated into lefts and rights.  

Before I knew it I was done.  I wasn't sure how many I really had or if the lefts and rights were correct so I laid them out.  I don't usually follow pattern exactly, but I really really like Bonnie's layout on this one, so I tried it.

Amazingly close considering I had not planned how many of each color or lefts and rights at all.  I had 7 extra blues that didn't fit and I needed 7 more greens - 4 lefts and 3 rights.  That was pretty good.  I will work those extras into the back. 
Using Bonnie Hunter's webbing technique I got them sewn together correctly in no time at all.  Now on to borders.

I love this quilt.  Even Senor G was impressed.  I might have to keep it for us!

Linking up with  Crazy Mom Quilts   and Confessions of a fabric addict  to show off finishes.



6 comments:

  1. Lovely. Colors are great. Isn't it fun to use up scraps. I am making a delectable mountain quilt but it is more of planned scrappy look where I am placing the blocks to form a circle. Micki@2dogsstudio.us

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun quilt and a great way to use fabrics you no longer love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wanting to try this pattern. Now I know where to find it. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wanting to try this pattern. Now I know where to find it. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!