Friday, January 10, 2014

It's Friday and I Finally Finished It!

Smith Mountain Morning

Definitely my biggest project to date. It only took 14 months, which for me is pretty good.  I drove 4 hours to Aiken, SC to participate in Bonnie Hunter's Smith Mountain Morning class.  A gift to me for my 50th.  So glad I did.  Learned so many tips and tricks and just had a wonderful time.

When I tested it on my bed - when I was "finished" - I discovered that 2 more rows on either side would have been a better fit.  But the borders were on and I just didn't have 18 more blocks in me anyways.  I had already enlarged it to 81 blocks.  Too big for me to quilt, so another gift to me was having a professional longarmer quilt it.  Another good decision.  Used it on the bed without binding it for over a month.  As soon as my Christmas break started I sewed the binding on and was ready for hand stitching it down while sitting around with family.

Guess I didn't sit around socializing enough because the binding was still not all stitched down in time for a Friday finish last week.  Even unfinished it was put to use on these unusually cold Florida nights.  Look what I found when I spread it out!!  A leader/ender for a pink & purple version of Tumulo Trail also found in the Scraps & Shirttails II.  There is never a lull in the life of a quilter!

Got it finished over the weekend.  Just in time since my vacation was over.  A huge finish.

Smith Mountain Morning  90 x 90


Check some other Friday finishes at confessions of a fabric addict.

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous! I love Smith Mtn Morning. It's one of my favorites, and hopefully some day I'll make one too. Lucky you to be able to go to one of Bonnie's classes. Thanks for sharing your wonderful finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That looks amazing. Your colors look so good together.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!