Monday, January 27, 2014

Design Wall Monday 012714

I am continuing with the red, white and blue quilt.  It's start can be seen here.

These stars are addictive.  I cut pieces out of most of the reds I had tucked away with this UFO.  Plus some of my mother's reds.  Same with the whites.  I did a few trial blocks to find which way works best for me to do the flying geese units, since I have not made any of them in a long time.  Now that I have it down to a system I am sewing 2 blocks together at a time.  They "lead & end" each other.  Then between every 2 blocks I get in the real leader & ender project - 2" squares for Dancing Nine Patch by Bonnie Hunter.

I really like the scrappy star points.  If I ever did this again I would do something more interesting in the block center.  But since it is a UFO and I am following the pattern - more or less - I will stick with the solid center for now.  That 5" square just looks like a blank canvas waiting to be played upon!  Next time.  I am definitely a much more scrappy quilter than when I started this 4 years ago.

The quinceanos quilt that is covering the design wall waiting for more signature blocks to come in is slowly being covered.  I like these red stars so much I don't want to just stack them up.  I don't have much wall space and the room has been added to and rearranged since I put up the design wall and now I can't really reach it.  So figuring that out seems like it should be a project too.

The pattern calls for 32 red stars.  I have 20 done - including the non-scrappy original block.  I had thought maybe I would unsew it and make it scrappy, but now I just think it will get included as is.

Go see some other Design Walls at Patchwork Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!