Monday, January 20, 2014

Design Wall Monday

Red, White & Blue UFO

Original on left.  Scrappy idea on right.
This one has been languishing in my mind for a long time.  Since we lived overseas for so long I always wanted to make a RWB quilt, but never found a design I liked.  Finally, not long before we moved back to the US I found it.  From the looks of things I made one block, saved about an 8" strip of a few reds and put it in a bag.  The bag of course got moved - and stored.

Middle E turned 15 last November and I am working on a quinceanos quilt for her.  Another story for another post.  But in doing that I needed some good RWB fabrics.  I knew I had some set aside and being a good packrat, I found the bag right away and used some of the reds.  Perfect.  The bag is, of course, still sitting on my work table.

This weekend I had a fast finish which I'll post about later this week and got the backing done for the pink baby quilt which can be seen here.  A finish and a near finish in one month is just unheard of for me.  Either I have more time than I used to, which would be great.  Or having this new blog is motivating me to get things done in order to post about them.  I'll take either.  Anyways, those finishes led to me clean off the work table and there was the bag for the RWB project.

I pulled it out and figured why not. The instructions were not there, but I remembered which book it came from and I still had it - pretty amazing considering we gave away probably 90% of our belongings when we moved to the US.  See, a packrat really does have a plan!  I knew that I would get to it some day.

The red centers are all cut and also strips for the red triangles.



 



I have become more scrappy since I made this one block.  I want to make the points of the star different than the center and maybe different than each other.  I like it much better so far.



















A very touching thing happened when I was cutting the centers.  I did not have enough different reds and thought I remembered another bag of RWB.  Wanted to make sure before I started cutting doubles.  Dug around a bit and sure enough.  Turns out it was my mother's RWB stash bag.  She had some good reds in there, but the awww moment was this block.

She had obviously been working on the very same block and playing with the bonus triangles.  Even though hers is larger, I will definitely work it in somehow along with plenty of her reds. And it just felt like confirmation that this is the right project for now.



Stop by Patchwork Times and see what's on some other walls.

2 comments:

  1. Wow -- that must feel like your mom is watching over you, doesn't it? This really will be a special quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have my Mom's Bicentennial quilt (mostly polyester), still in pieces, in a box. That is the main reason I started quilting, so I could finish it. It never occurred to me to incorporate the parts she had finished into something else. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!