Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Tasty Tuesday - Play Dough

No Fail Play Dough

I have made a lot of play dough in the last few weeks.  This is an old recipe from a cookbook compiled by missionaries in Africa.  When Senor G went to Africa for a visit one of the women gave him a copy for me.  We were living in Moscow, Russian then and Grown Up R was about 1-year-old.   It's been a while.

This one's a keeper.
 The Play Dough recipe was perfect for us at the time since we didn't have access to much of anything. I have used the recipe over the years for the younger girls and also for school.
Thank you Sandy M.
I recently made Pumpkin Pie Play Dough at Thanksgiving time for school.  Just add cinnamon and nutmeg to the dry ingredients and orange food color.   For Christmas I added peppermint extract and red food color.

Colored peppermint getting mixed up.
I made 6 double batches of white peppermint play dough for snowman kits for student gifts at Christmas.   We got good reviews on that from the parents. 
Plain peppermint for snowmen kits cooling - before and after kneading.
Then I made bright play dough for my nephew for Christmas.

Nice and Bright for Nephew.
PLAY DOUGH
Mix together in a saucepan:
1 c flout
1/2 c salt
2 t cream of tartar
dry spices if desired

Mix together in a measuring cup or small bowl:
1 c water
2 T oil
few drops of color
flavor extracts if desired

Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients.
Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until ball forms.  This only takes a few minutes.
Remove dough from sauce pan onto flat cool surface.
Knead til smooth.
Store in a tightly sealed container or bag.

Notes: I have never had a batch not work.  When you first start stirring it doesn't seem like it's going to work, but it always does.

I find this play dough to be smoother and easier to use than name brands.  For little hands and fingers this can make a big difference.  I also doesn't leave that icky feeling on your hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!