Thursday, March 17, 2022

Dear Jane Hunkers Down

As I was updating my Dear Jane progress I found this post from November 2017 that had never been published.   It was interesting to read my thought process back then.   

We had quite a long advance notice that Hurricane Irma was on her way.  After I got food and essentials prepped and ready I got some Dear Jane blocks prepped.
B 11 Melissa's Cross

The remaining blocks that need hand stitching also need some machine sewing as part of their prep. I got as many prepped as I could without agonizing over fabrics etc.  Slow and steady.  

B 11
Last year during Hurricane Matthew I just grabbed the book and some fabrics and that was not the most effective way to do it, but we did not have much notice then before we evacuated.  After that experience I got my Dear Jane blocks organized by color so I know if I have a repeat or not and I made photo copies of each block pattern so I don't have to flip back and forth in the book choosing what I want.   Every color has its own ziploc bag with finished blocks, pattern copies, and potential future fabrics.  This system is working much better for me.

I did a few blocks in the summer when I was working on organizing and in a slump as far as time for sewing.  But this was a real test of how it would work in a pinch.

Sure enough, I picked a few that needed minimal machine sewing prep before the hand stitching.  Picked a fabric and got it ready.  Easy peasy.

I was so tired after a restless few nights of anticipating the hurricane and then listening to howling wind and rain that I didn't get all of them done, but that's okay.  I will do the remaining machine sewing at some point to finish these few up and that's progress.  And I have a few prepped if I need a hand sewing project in the future.

So for the second time in less than a year Dear Jane goes through a hurricane!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!