Sunday, February 16, 2014

Stash Report 021614

In a surprise burst of sewing I got the rest of the blue & green blocks done.  It started with Judy's January & February scrappy challenge blocks which you can see here and here.  February worked better with my scraps.   I like the January block, but not my color choices.
January - upper left & lower right.  February - center two blocks on all four sides.
I worked with my precut scraps and a few pieces of larger scraps that hadn't been cut down yet. I was also able to use up some of the blue strips and tri-rec center triangles leftover from the Smith Mountain Morning quilt. All in all I used up quite a few odd chunks of fabric and discovered a new unit a really like.  I love the effect of a secondary star spinning in the background when the block is all together.
My new favorite unit. 
Only up close can you tell how pieced this yellow triangle is.  I only needed to squeeze one more out of the last bit of scrap and I got it!

As I ran out of particular colors I made do with other fabric and/or changed the block design. In using the SMM scraps I went ahead and made the tri-rec star points. At first I didn't like them in there but as I worked with the block arrangement and got them placed them in the center I liked it better. 

A whopping 1.9 yards out of the scrap bins.  It wasn't even enough to have been folded and placed on a shelf and yet I got an entire baby quilt out of it.  Well almost - I still have to make sashings and a piano key border.  Who would have thought?

Fabric Used This Week:   1.9 yards for blue & green baby quilt blocks


Total Used 2014:  14 yards

Fabric In This Week:   0 yards

Total Bought/Received in 2014: 7 yards

Net Used 2014: 7 yards
 
There are lots of other stash reports over at Patchwork Times.

7 comments:

  1. I love how your Scrappy Challenge blocks have turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new favorite is also my favorite unit. Pat Speth calls these "combination" squares. She has some good tips on making them in her Nickel Quilts books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt is going to be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great looking arrangement for your scrap blocks. You did so well in combining all those leftover scraps. My question is how do you do the math to figure usage on scrap blocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Judy's chart, (which can be found at the link below) about calculating yardage. Instead of calculating how much fabric I need, I work backwards to calculate how much fabric I used. I count up how many of each size piece there are, how many of those pieces I can get from a width of fabric and however many WOF are needed multiplied by the width is how much fabric I used for that particular piece. I do that for every different size piece and then total it up. I like math, so I enjoy this.

      For example: 16 3.5" center blocks: I can get 11 3.5" squares from a WOF, so I would need 2 WOF to get all 16. Total: 2 WOF x 3.5" = 7" used

      http://www.patchworktimes.com/2011/11/12/calculating-yardage/

      I calculate it when all the blocks are done, not block by block.

      Hope this helps.

      Delete
    2. Here is another of Judy's posts about yardage that is very helpful

      http://www.patchworktimes.com/2012/12/16/about-the-stash-report-2/

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!