Friday, September 15, 2017

Pillowcases for Harvey During Irma

I had offered to teach my co-workers to sew by making pillowcases for Harvey victims.  Sarah over at Confessions of a Fabric Addict has a pillowcase drive going and it seemed like the right thing to do.
Potential Pillowcases

Before I could get going on it we found out we were in the path of Hurricane Irma - along with the rest of the state of Florida!!  Never seen anything like it and hope to never again.  So I picked a bunch of likely fabric and packed up what I needed to work on it while we were evacuated.  My sister would bring her smaller machine.
All hands on deck!

When Irma turned to the west we decided to hunker down and sit it out.  But my sister still came to us.  All day Saturday we still had electricity.  I cut and gave her instruction and she sewed.  After the first one or two we got a system going and we knocked out 10 pillowcases before we called it a day.
All the stages of the process.

Sunday morning we had no power and we were in the throes of the eastern bands of Hurricane Irma.  No sewing or cutting.  Mostly just looking out the window.
Out the sewing room window as it was in the final hours. Not too bad, really.

Sunday noonish the worst had passed and she found out that her neighborhood had power and the way had been cleared for her to go back home.   I cut the rest of the day until it got too dark to see well enough.  Ended up with 20 more pillowcases to add to the 5 that we hadn't sewn on Saturday.  Whew!

10 Finished!!
Our power was still out, so we spent the night at her house Sunday night.  I took the bag of cut pillowcases, but we were so tired that we didn't get to it at all.  Showers and feet up was all we could do.  It had been a fitful night.
One of my favorites.

So now I am back to getting my co-workers going to finish these up.

Linking up to Confessions of a Fabric Addict and Crazy Mom Quilts to show off finishes.


5 comments:

  1. Same comment as LInda above. Glad you are safe. You've been blessed to be a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are awesome! I hope some good Karma comes your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to keep busy during a stressful time. I love to sew pillowcases after finding my groove!

    ReplyDelete
  4. cool stuff you have got and you keep update all of us. Linen gift

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!