Sunday, July 14, 2019

Stash Report - July 14, 2019

I was in Guatemala last week when I took Little S down to stay the month to work on her Spanish and spend time with family.  Even though I've been back a few days I'm all off on posting and reporting.  I'll start my catch up with a stash report.

Fabric In: College E and I went out thrifting and I found some large pieces of flannel that will make a good baby backing -  $4 for 4 yards & 30"  A red & white strip - $1 for 0.75 yards.  Because of the rewards program at the Hospice Thrift store I did not have to pay for the fabric - or 2 of the 3 shirts we got!  WooHoo! At another thrift store I got a cadet blue - $0.25 for 0.45 yards.


Fabric Out: Not so much out since I was sewing with my MIL's stash in Guatemala.  But I did get a few things done when I got back.

I got a start on a ballerina baby quilt for College E to take to a family friend when she goes to Guatemala to bring back Little S at the end of the month.  Quick and simple.  Just needs borders (maybe) and quilting.  Backing is already set aside and will dictate the size of the quilt. 1.25 top
Ballerinas and roses got sewn together right after this photo.
I also made 3 samples for the Sewing Class at the library.  This was the perfect project for a random decorator weight fabric with a Paris design.  2 Paris bags with lining.  1.39 yards  Sample bag lining.  0.24 yards  I need to figure out Etsy again, so I can try to sell these.  They are cute and fun to make, but I don't need them.
Large Paris bag with inside pocket

Small Paris bag
I worked on getting the sewing room back in order since when Little S comes back from Guatemala she comes with SIL & BIL also.  So I have to rearrange to accommodate guests, which means someone will sleep on the sewing room floor. 

Part of cleaning and organizing was putting away the giant addition to the stash that I had accumulated in the Spring, but had never been stored properly.  In order to make it all fit I went through and culled fabrics that I was unlikely to use.  Those will get donated.  4.62 yards.

Funny thing though.  The fabrics to donate were in the box, but still in the house.  When I was writing the tutorial for the lined tote bag for the library class I needed to make another one to get some missing photos.  So I pulled a piece out of the donation stack and used it!  I did not second guess myself - the rest of the stack is still heading out!

Fabric Purchased Since Last Report - 0.45 yds
Fabric Purchased YTD - 70 yds

Free to Me Since Last Report - 5.62 yds
Free to Me YTD -  14.37 yds

Fabric Used Since Last Report - 7.5 yds
Fabric Used YTD - 54.96 yds

Fabric Movement -  29.41 yards stashed 

Total Spent - $42.75
Price/Yard YTD - $0.51 / yard

Just barely getting more out than came in.  That's okay.  

2019+15+minute+To+Stitch_2-001.jpg (1600×1600)
Kate from Life in Pieces has challenged us to try for 15 minutes each day of stitching.  With the trip to Guatemala I had to think about how to make sure I got in stitching time.

I took along my cross-stitch because I always take it on a trip to keep me busy during travel time and sitting around talking time.  That worked well once again.  Little S is hopeful that one day I will actually finish it since it is her "birth announcement" cross-stitch.  I am up to the back stitching, so the end is in sight.
Layover in Ft. Lauderdale
I got to sew with my MIL putting together the pink Carpenter Star that got set aside in December.
Together at last
I also mended my niece's sweater that the dog had chewed on.

Unfortunately I had my own mending on my way back when the side split on the freebie promotional drawstring bag I was using (for once I was traveling light) as I was going through security in the Guatemala airport at the very beginning of a long travel day.  Aarrrgh.  Since I had my cross-stitch project in it I just used that thread to fix the bag.  No problem!
Good enough to get me through the rest of the day.
So I only missed the Sunday because it was a very busy day with church, cooking, and a family outing.  A very good excuse for not sewing.

My numbers might seem a little off, but that is because I didn't start the challenge until May.

Days spent on sewing related tasks since last report: 13/14
Days spent on sewing related tasks this month: 12/13
Days spent on sewing related tasks this year: 69/74
Percentage of time on task: 93%

Linking up to QuiltPaintCreate and Life in Pieces to stay accountable.

5 comments:

  1. Great adds. Flannel makes such nice backing. The Paris fabric is perfect for the bags. They're adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Those were some great finds! Your Carpenter Star is lovely - I like your color placement. Pink seems to be the color in this wonderful post. You know, the bow you added to the tote is a cute touch! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your finds. We don't seem to have lots of fabric around here in our thrift stores. Then again, I don't need to look right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've done really well. Great finds on the fabric, and those bags are so cute. I especially like the one with the bow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fun trip home but lots of clean up when you got home. Congrats on finding time to stitch when you were on the road, that's a lot harder than stitching at home. Thanks for linking up this week.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!