Friday, July 8, 2016

Surprise UFO Progress

I was trying to finish Middle E's Quinceanos quilt but the border I put on just didn't work. So I unsewed and set the quilt aside.  Then I tried the border on this quilt.  TaaaDaaa.  I had always envisioned the quilt with a red border but this blue just worked.  

A few test photos and I had a plan.  

I liked the blue a lot, but it needed a little oomph.

Red was my initial idea several years ago and it is PERFECT with this blue.
I have not sewn for pleasure in a long time so I just rolled with the fact that I had a plan and a good book on CD and an afternoon off.  

The dark blue had been given to me in long strips last year so it was a puzzle to make the existing measurements work.   I came up 2" short on the very last border.  Luckily there was a little scrap that I could add on.  I'm sure when it is all done even I won't even remember it's pieced there.  
The left quarter....
I am super pleased with the borders.  It was worth the wait to get it just right.
My problem is that somehow with the changes I made to the original quilt pattern and the extra blue chain blocks I added and now the double border - this quilt is huge!!!  116" x 108" more or less. I don't even have a big enough space to lay it out.   It is way too big for my little frame and domestic machine.  I think I am going to have to send it out for quilting.  That's okay though.  
and the right quarter.
I always wanted a red, white and blue quilt and I love how it turned out so I don't mind investing in a keeper.

Showing off finishes with Crazy Mom Quilts and Confessions of a Fabric Addict

2 comments:

  1. What a nice quilt! Classic -- you'll enjoy it for years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt looks great - that narrow red border is just right inside the dark blue!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!