Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Felt Food

My class loves felt food.  We have had quite a bit donated so I never felt the need to make any although there are some super cute ideas out there.

Well, all that changed when I was preparing for Fiesta Camp and saw felt tacos.  No sewing required which made it doable on a large scale.  I loved the Mexican  Restaurant idea but I also wanted 45 kids to be able to take home their own set. 
First up - tomatoes.   Red circles seemed appropriate.   But the longer I looked at all those red circles the less I liked them.   They needed something more but there was no way I was hand painting 200 tomatoes.  

Then something clicked!  That's the way my brain works.  I never get the whole plan all at once.   I lightly painted the end of a thread spool pink and then pressed it onto the felt circle.

Now that's a tomato!!

Then I just HAD to paint the other side to make it more realistic. It was worth it!


An army of tomatoes!

Tortilla - 6" circle, cream color for flour tortillas, goldenrod color for corn tortillas
Onion - 2" circle, fold in half & cut like a rainbow to get 3 concentric rings
Cheese - various yellows cut in tapering rectangles about 1.5" long
Lettuce - various light greens cut in wavy strips about 3" long 
Meat - brown blobs roughly 1" squares
Green pepper - christmas green 1/2" squares (I ran out of oomph before I got these cut!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!