Friday, December 22, 2017

Friday Finish - More Pillowcases

It has been a year for pillowcases.  35+ got made for victims of Hurricane Harvey, others got made for friends, and hostess gifts.  And at the last minute I decided I should made some for the kids I tutor.  That was inspired by a bit of basketball fabric I happened to have.

But the basketball pillowcase turned problematic.  I didn't have enough black for the body of the pillowcase so bought (ack!) more after church on Sunday.  Our washer is broken, so someone else prewashed the fabrics for me while I was at work on Monday.  I got sick (head congestion, fever, and yucky stomach) but I was determined to finish the pillowcases in time and wasn't thinking right or I probably would have noticed that the prewashed fabrics just didn't seem right.
Cute, but distorted

Sure enough - after a second washing with color catcher because all that black with a white band really made me nervous it was obvious (photo above) that the newer black fabric had shrunk - a lot.  I was still sick - worse  - the night before I needed to gift this, so I did my best to make it presentable.  Ironing and taking a bigger seam on the focus fabric helped a lot.  I didn't have any more basketball fabric to try again.  Unsewing and starting over wasn't really an option although that is what I should have done.  When it is on a pillow it looks good.  Lesson learned - don't delegate.  Recipient was super happy and that's what really matters.

The next pillowcases turned out uneventfully.  Whew.  First was for a girl whose favorite color is blue.  I thought I'd try Christmas fabric.  This piece was not quite long enough so I made it up with a longer upper band.  She was thrilled.

Winter mittens
The last one went to her little sister, who happens to be in my class this year and because I changed grades this year, she was also in my class last year.  Sweet little girl who I could not leave out of the gifting.  Her favorite colors are pink and purple.

Winnie the Pooh Christmas

This one I cut according to the instructions, but comparing it to the blue one I don't like the proportions as well.  So lots of lessons learned during these three pillowcases.  But the bottom line is once they are on the pillow they are cute no matter what.  I know that the pillowcases for Harvey had a lot of variation in cutting depending on what was available to use and they all came out great.

Three happy students!!!  Despite the little problems, I was glad that I went with my instinct to make a nice gift for each of them even though it was last minute.  It was the right thing to do for the relationship I have with each of the families.  So often, I feel like I miss my opportunity and am kicking myself later.  Not this time.

Linking up to Confessions of a Fabric Addict and Crazy Mom Quilts to show off finishes.

4 comments:

  1. They turned out well in spite of the problems, you did a really nice job. I'm sure the kids will be thrilled to have them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I impressed by the quality of information on this website. There are a lot of good resources here. I am sure I will visit this place again soon.
    bed scarf

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!