Friday, December 8, 2017

Commissioned Stockings

A friend asked me to make stockings for her family.  She went through my Christmas stash and chose fabrics.  When I started cutting I made 2 suggestions to change.  One because I had just received the flowery fabric and it worked better.  The other because the flow just wasn't right and the change worked better.

After the stocking boots were made it was time to decide on the cuffs.  This is where it really needs to be the client who makes the decision.  I have learned to present the options and then step back.

All red?

All green?


Red & green mixed?


How about white?


In the end she went with all red, which is what she had indicated at the start of the project, but it helps to see all the options to be sure that what you imagined is what you really want.

I did add lace to the youngest.  It helps with the red on red and is appropriate for the age and gender. All in all they came out great and the client was very happy!
Ta Daaaaa!

I made lots of stockings when we lived in Guatemala because it was a novelty there and not part of the culture.  But here in the US I haven't made any because my mother knit stockings for all of the family.  Amazingly I still had the pattern from Guatemala.  Why did I even wonder - of course I held on to it!

Linking up to Confessions of a Fabric Addict and Crazy Mom Quilts to show off finishes.

4 comments:

  1. You were smart to hold onto the pattern. It works! I love that you gave her options, although I'd have gone with all red, too. It ties the fabrics all together and is a nice place to add the names. Great finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The all red is growing on me. It is a good reminder to give some ideas a chance to "marinate" before rejecting or accepting right away.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely Holiday display these will create in your client's home!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I like the red best, too. I'm not a very decisive person so this would have been tough. They are darling!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!