Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Tasty Tuesday - Onion Casserole

I've been wanting to compile the recipes that our family likes so that the girls will have it when they are on their own.  I think I entered one or two into a Word document a few years back and that's as far as I got.  College R will graduate in May, so I better try harder.  Thinking of ways to better utilize the blog I figured I would try this year to post a recipe each week. 

So without further ado...

Onion Casserole

4 large onions
1-2 T mayonnaise
1 1/2 c shredded Swiss cheese (or whatever cheese you have on hand)
1 t pepper

Slice the onions top to bottom - north pole to south pole - to make slivers, not rings.
With clean hands separate the slivers in a large bowl.
Add mayonnaise and work it into the slivers so they are all lightly coated.  Add more mayo if needed, but don't over do.
Stir in pepper.
Stir in cheese.  More cheese never hurts.

Pour into a greased casserole.  Cover and bake at 350F for 60 - 90 minutes or until browned on the top.
Bake time will depend on size of casserole and height of onions in the casserole.
Onion Casserole is at 12:00

This recipe is super flexible as far as ingredient amounts.  I pretty much just use what I have. The original recipe used Swiss, but we prefer cheddar or a Mexican blend.   My family finished off a Christmas version with 5 large onions in 24 hours!  It is currently our most requested dish.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!