Friday, January 29, 2016

I've Been Working on This One Forever

My MIL sent a quilt for Little S almost 3 years ago.   It was super cute and was a lot of appliqué work.  Little S slept with it, snuggled with it, read with it. Everything.  This was not the first quilt Mama Cristy had made for her.  Nor the last.  But something about it made it precious to her.

Looking back I realize this was just after my mother had passed away so maybe it was a way to hang on to her other grandmother. 

The quilt was tied at the corners but kept coming untied with excessive use.  I finally gave up and took out all the ties and started quilting it.  I did not unsew the binding which was the backing turned to the front.  Unfortunately as i worked my way from one end to the other the backing shifted.  Turns out it  was larger than the front and so I ended up with a giant bunch of backing and couldn't continue quilting.   Little S used it anyways!

Another year passed.  I needed a hand work project on a road trip so I took it along and got all the binding unsewn.  Then it sat on the UFO pile. 

Almost a year passed.  I had a brief window of sewing opportunity after I quilted the carnival quilt so I bit the bullet and finished it off.  With all the imperfections in the original construction and then my changes to it it ended up far from perfect.  But probably only a quilter would notice.  
I debabted using the backing I had trimmed off as the binding.  But it was already showing a lot of wear so I chose a cute check on the diagonal.  

It came out great. Not perfect. But still really cute and will last many more years.  I love it.  And Little S thinks I am super mom for getting it back in service.  

Linking up with confessions of a fabric addict and  crazy mom quilts to show off finishes.

1 comment:

  1. What a fabulous fix! I need to replace the backing on my first quit, but I can't quite bring myself to do it yet.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!