Thursday, July 3, 2014

Another Guatemala finish

When I posted about my daughter's Quinceanos Quilt here and here  and  here I mentioned that this was tradition in our family. Well, I found out while we were there that my niece, who is a year older than Middle E, did not get a quilt. Not sure why no one made one for her.

Since I had taken some fabric down with us and we had access to the "Treasure Box of Mystery Fabric" I decided to remedy the situation.  My MIL was in on the surprise.  Everyone else thought it was just a test design we were working on together.  Since my niece was around a lot during the sewing we had to have an excuse!  
D's Chevron Quinceanos Quilt
For a long time I had wanted to try a chevron quilt made with rectangles. It seemed like something that would be relatively quick but distinctive.  Of the fabric that I had to work with there were quite a few large pieces that could be cut in long lengths for strip piecing. I did try one section with scraps and it came out fine but was much more time consuming. 
The scrappy zig!
The tricky part was laying it out.  There was no flat surface available - I had it covered with the machine and fabric!  So I used the clothesline. I just pinned sections to the existing body of the quilt and took it down and sewed when it got to be too much. 
I had to add a piece on the top & bottom so the tips didn't get lost.  Considering I did not use a pattern this was a simple fix.
One evening when the whole family was together we presented it to my niece. She loved it. She started right away to get the family signatures on the white rows   My MIL will finish it off with a dark blue border and quilt it when it is all signed. 

I would definitely make this quilt again even though I know that next time I will not have uninterrupted sewing time like I did for this - that was a real treat!  It was a tricky layout and I had to unsew a few times on the sides, but overall it was fast.   Little S has already asked for one!

Linking up finishes with   confessions of a fabric addict
and  Crazy Mom Quilts and richard and tanya quilts
  to show off finishes.

1 comment:

  1. One of my favourite colour schemes and I love the chevrons (something I haven't tried yet). You've reminded me of a tablecloth my dear departed Granny had, on which she embroidered the signatures of family and friends who visited...I wonder where that is now (I think it has my ten-year-old signature on it!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!