Friday, August 12, 2016

Wedding Finish #1


We went to my SIL's wedding  in Guatemala.  She is much more than a SIL and an aunt, so it was a momentous occasion.  She planned for hydrangeas for her flowers and at the last minute saw an idea online somewhere for a welcome bicycle with hydrangeas in the basket.  Their original letters were too big and there was just too much going on for her to concentrate on the project. 

Mind you - we are in a small town in Guatemala and there are no craft stores so we had to work with what was available.  Perfect for me - The Queen of Make Do!  She had the burlap and amazingly I had never learned that word in Spanish after having lived there nearly 16 years.  I made the triangle template first, then worked backwards to get the right size letter.  The little librerias carry an odd assortment of stuff and they were able to find blue felt for the letters.  Just sitting over coffee after dinner I got the letters cut and glued on.

The next day was the real test.  She wanted it to be just like the picture, but I didn't want to make burlap binding to hang them with.  So while she was a work, my MIL and went to the libreria to see what we could come up with.  Thin blue cording that was just the right color.  So I made a simple casing and we threaded the cording through.  Perfect.

Old bicycle from the groom's father, hydrangeas from a local woman, basket from the market, pennant and VOILA!  It even stood up to a pretty good rain just before the wedding started.

Linking up with Confessions of a Fabric Addict to show off finishes!

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!