Friday, August 10, 2018

Thankful Thursday

What a week this has been!  In the midst of getting College E ready to head back today and Little S starting tomorrow I held a sewing class at the library yesterday.  Way back when I picked the date I had no idea what the week would be like.  But sewing is my therapy, so all is well!
Learning to use her mother's machine!
We had 5 brand new sewists come to the class.  Little Miss A had sewn with her grandma and had her own machine, but that was a quite a while ago, so she was really starting from scratch along with everyone else.  They were all so excited.  I love the enthusiasm when they first press the pedal and see it go!! First they practiced sewing straight lines on gingham and pivoting at the corners.
Slow & Steady
We talked about different kinds of fabrics and sewing projects.  Also demonstrated the different parts of the machine and dos and don'ts.  I love teaching about using a "spider".  Did anyone else learn about "spiders" way back from Eleanor Burns on TV?
Separating the project from the spider.
Now I use Bonnie Hunter's leaders & enders method, but by starting with the spider the students learn why it is so helpful.  After we get the straight lines down, we will move on to leaders & enders.  They were duly impressed by my X Marks the Spot Quilt which is the result of consistent leadering & ending!
Lots of Leaders & Enders
Then they were pedal to the metal making travel tissue covers.  That is such a fun first project.  Guaranteed success and practical too.  Perfect for Back to School!
Unsewing.  It happens to all of us.
By the end of the class my stress of getting all my girls to the right place at the right time with the right stuff was gone.  I know that if I had stayed home I would not have taken the time to sew, but teaching the class was just what I needed.
Careful straight line stitching
I am so thankful to these ladies of all ages for giving up one of the last afternoons of their summer vacation to learn to sew.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!