Sunday, January 22, 2017

Stash Report 012217

The first carnival quilt for this year is quilted.   The quilting went quickly.  I love using bright variegated thread on kid quilts.
I love the variegated thread.

Preparing the back to make it big enough took some doing.  I didn't want any leftover of the backing fabric and I wanted to use up the extra pieces from the piano key border.  I got this fabric a few years ago at Goodwill super cheap thinking it would match almost anything and be a good backing or border.  Didn't work that way.  Too many colors in it maybe.  But I think it was perfect for this quilt and the kids agreed unanimously when I gave them several options.  
Wild and crazy and perfect for this quilt.

Then I had to prepare the batting.  I had enough scraps to join together a large enough piece for this quilt.  I call it "Franken-Batting". That is my frugal nature coming through.  I can't stand to throw anything away if I can still get use out of it.  In this case I saved the expense of new batting.  
The kids will be able to see all the layers of the sandwich.

I will send it back to school so the kids can see it in the "sandwich" stage.  Then the binding will be quick.  I have leftover black strips from the sashing and borders  so I will probably use that.  

Clarification: As with previous years, my Stash Report is designed to meet my needs.  I only get to sew in occasional spurts so I report fabric out when I have all of a particular stage of the quilt finished.  I can keep track better and I see progress more often which is more motivating.  

So this week I am just counting out the backing.

Fabric Purchased This Week: 0 yards
Fabric Acquired This Week: 0 yards
Fabric Acquired YTD: 5.4 yards

Fabric Used This Week: 2 yards
Fabric Used YTD: 4.01 yards

Fabric Stashed in 2017: 1.39 yards

I am closing the gap.  The next carnival quilt should put me back in the black.

Staying accountable with Judy over at Patchwork Times


1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!