Saturday, April 26, 2014

How to Make "Franken Batting"

There were a few questions about how I make "Frankenbatting".  I'm sure there are lots of ways to do it, but this works for me.  Bonnie Hunter recently posted on how she does it here.  I know that I read how to do it somewhere a long time ago.  It may have been here,  also a Bonnie Hunter post.

I usually only do this for a smallish quilt, baby quilt or lap quilt.

If I have strips I work in longer pieces, but if not I start small and built up sections that build up to strips that build up to a big enough piece of batting for a quilt. 

Find pieces that are about the same length.  If they are not the same length, just cut where it needs to be cut.  You can always sew it back together!

Place them slightly overlapping on the cutting table.  With the rotary cutter and ruler cut through both pieces so the edges will now butt up again each other exactly straight and matching.

Note: I used to not do this step and my batting was wavy with valleys and mountains.  This step takes extra effort but makes it a lot smoother.

I set my machine on the widest zig zag with a long stitch length and carefully join the 2 pieces.  Keep joining this way until your batting is large enough.  Square it up and use it!

Free batting.  Just a bit of effort required.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!