Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Tasty Tuesday - Banana Bread

I've tried a lot of banana breads, read a lot of banana bread recipes and even been to a banana bread making demonstration.  For my family this one is the winner.  I found it on the side of the bag of "day old" bananas at Winn Dixie soon after we moved to the United States.

When our bananas are past their prime I put them in the freezer still in the peel.  Then when I am ready to bake I just pull out three and let them thaw a bit and they work perfectly.  They don't look good, but they taste great in this recipe.

BANANA BREAD

1 stick butter at room temp
3/4 c sugar
2 eggs
1 c flour (all purpose)
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 c whole wheat flour
3 large ripe bananas, mashed
1 t vanilla (I use 2 t)
1/2 c walnuts, coarsely chopped (The girls don't like nuts so we skip this.)

1. Preheat oven to 350F.  Grease 9x5x3 metal bread pan.

2. Cream butter & sugar til light and fluffly.  Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.

3. Sift all purpose flour, baking soda and salt together, stir in whole wheat flour and add to creamed mixture, mixing well.

4.  Fold in bananas, vanilla and walnuts.

5. Pour mixture into pan, bake 50 - 60 minutes or til tooth pick comes out clean.  Coool in pan 10 min, then on rack.

Makes one loaf.

2 comments:

  1. I prefer my bread without nuts too. My boys suggested I swap the nuts for mini chocolate chips. Works great when I want to mix it up a little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I work at Winn-Dixie in the produce department and is the best banana bread

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!