Friday, March 18, 2016

99 Baseballs Shirts to Mend, 99 Baseball Shirts

Actually just 60, but it felt like 99! The high school baseball team shirts were not staying buttoned.  The plan was to sew the front shut in a large rectangle between the first and last buttons but the words had to be lined up and sewn down as well and that thread color was different than the shirt color.  I was thankful it was this solution and not resewing all the buttons - double yuck!
30 white shirts - sewn, counted and ready to go
Turns out the husband of my coworker helps with the team so when they were looking at options she threw my name out.  I had done a sewing job for her not long ago and told her to feel free to give my name to people.  

I did a test - actually 2 tests - a grey shirt and a white shirt since the fabric was different.  Mr H took them to the coach with my bid.  They were pleased with my work and he offered more than double what I had bid. Turns out that was still lower than the "professional" sports place they were considering.  And much more economical than buying new shirts.
30 grey shirts with  lemon verbena soap to attempt to offset the "athletic" smell
A fantastic job opportunity for me.  I worked very hard and had the white set done 2 days early so he was able to wash them before the game.  They were super stinky. Then I got the grey set done a week earlier than their date.  I really can only sew on the weekends so I was not surprised with myself for getting it done quickly. It was very repetitious so I didn't want it to drag on any longer than absolutely necessary. Assembly line sewing allowed me to go even faster than on my tests which helped a lot. 

Mr H was thrilled beyond words to have them done well within the time.  I also did minor repairs on the decorative piping and he paid even more for that.  

I love it when a job turns out even better than you hope. 

Lesson #1:  I don't charge enough for my sewing skill.  I talked to my sister about that and she agreed.  We'll see what really happens when I get another paying job though. 

Lesson #2:  Don't dilly dally on a job. If I had not finished the commissioned moon quilt by the original date I would not have finished the carnival auction quilts and then I would not have had time for this job which was more profitable than all the rest.  

Linking up with Confessions of a Fabric Addict and Crazy Mom Quilts to show off finishes.

4 comments:

  1. I never charge enough either, but I am getting better at it. I think having confidence in our abilities probably helps. Congratulations on getting them done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend that also refuses to charge enough for her work. I repeatedly sit with her and explain how to figure minimum charges for her efforts, but she always says "that seems too high". Remember you paid for a sewing machine and do maintenance. Thread adds up. You have scissors, seam rippers, rulers and other tools that were not free. How much is your time worth to you? If you start at the beginning of a project and think about each thing you do, your rates will go up. Almost forgot to mention needles and time to clean the machine above and beyond the cost of yearly maintenance. Don't go nuts, but remember you are using your skills to do something they want. Your skills are valuable and you do what you do well. I didn't go through a project so I probably missed some of the costs, but I bet if you prorated all of this stuff over a year you would understand why your costs were low.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you need more incentive, go to a dry cleaning shop in a city nearby and ask their rates for something like repairing a hem. You'll be amazed at the cost. When my granddaughter's formal dress didn't quite fit in the spring, her mom discovered the charge to take it in would be $60. She quickly called me for help. Of course, I didn't charge her but it surely opened my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for all the votes of confidence. It helps to hear it from other sewers.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!