Friday, July 3, 2015

A Finish Frenzy

Little S spent 3 weeks with family in Guatemala.  After an initial burst of energy and lots of finishes I had slowed, but I was determined to get in a few more finishes before she got back and I did! Yippee!

Finish #1. Trip Around the World is quilted and bound.  I even got most of  the thread tails sewn in on the trip to the airport to pick up Little S. 
It is not quite square.
Not a thrilling back, but got fabric used up.
Finish #2. Curtains for the VPK classroom at work. I really should have had a before picture - sad, droopy, dusty mismatched curtains in a very non-childlike fabric hanging from rods that were falling off the wall.  I've had the measurements for months.  I remade the remaining panels from a set of curtains I got at goodwill when I made my classroom curtains 2 years ago.  Huge improvement and glad to have that bundle of old curtains out of my closet.  Someone else will paint at least one of the walls a yellow color. 

Finish #3. Spinning Octagons. I spread the blocks out one last time on Little S's floor and was still not convinced I liked it.  Then while at Joanns getting the rods for the curtains I found a remnant I knew would be perfect as a border and my interest was instantly revived.  On a break from quilting Finish #1 I squared up the blocks. I didn't agonize over it or worry about it.  I just found the smallest block and squared them all based on that.  I have known all along this was not going to be even close to perfect.  For now I was just aiming for a finish.  I quickly sewed them together and picked an inner border that worked with the orange sherbet fabric.  How did I ever think I did not like this quilt?  All the imperfections are now a reminder of all that went into this quilt. Considering it was a 20-year-old UFO made with pieces cut from cardboard templates I am pretty pleased.  It might be a keeper after all.  I certainly have to come up with a better name.
The colors are more distinct in real life.  The sun washed them out quite a bit.
Next up is to make a t-shirt quilt for my niece before she heads off to college and quilt the Spinning Octagons.

Linking up with  Crazy Mom Quilts   and Confessions of a fabric addict  to show off finishes.

3 comments:

  1. Love the Round the World quilt. Well done on all the finishes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done! Visiting from Crazy Mom Quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on a 20 year finish! I love the colors, they are so summery and cheerful. All quilts have their time to shine. Some just take longer than others.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!