Monday, July 27, 2015

And the winner was....

Strips That Sizzle

Last week I was trying to decide what project to work on next and it had to be from the UFO bin.  Strips that Sizzle seemed like a good choice since there was a nice stack of 60 blue blocks already made.  I just had to check the strip bins and see what other color I had the most of in order to make the opposing blocks. No big surprise there. - green.  

I made up a few blocks and then cut them diagonally and paired them w a blue that was also cut.   About halfway into the stack of blues I realized something was wrong.  I had cut them wrong so I did not have the strong visual effect that gives the quilt it's name.  Arrrrrgh 

No sizzle going on here.
Thankfully I had not sewn the pairs since I was setting up a Leader & Ender project pile.  So I correctly cut more blues to match up w the already cut greens   Then I made more greens to match up w the already cut blues.
That's more like it!
 Then I made even more greens to match w the remaing blues but I didn't cut either   That last batch I will save and cut after I have a layout and know which direction I need to make the layout complete
Now I can't wait to get them sewn and start playing w a layout.   This was a great way to use up strips and it was so nice to have strips already cut and ready to go!  

What did I use for L&E while I was sewing the green blocks?  The alternating blocks for the previous L&E project.  I had already turned lots of 2" squares into 2 patches, then 4 patches, then 16 patches.
There are lots more blocks than this but I can't reach over the table to put them up 
  and now I am working on a layout.
I am liking the look and working on getting a good variety before sewing more big blocks together.


Head on over to Patchwork Times  to see what others are working on.

2 comments:

  1. Your Strips That Sizzle project looks very interesting. Good thing you realized your cutting error before you had cut a big stack!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your leader/ender 16 patch blocks. I've started one of these too. Will be watching to see how your layout progresses.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!