Sunday, September 6, 2026

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

I figured out what was wrong and how to fix it, but that meant unsewing and more unsewing.  My block count was off by one too few blocks on each side and top and bottom.  Since I'm really winging it, I was not too surprised. 

Longer sides ready to go!
At least I knew what to do.  Make more blocks, unsew and add them in.  Then unsew more of the 25 year old blocks to make even more blocks, resew them with better seam allowances.  
Working on top & bottom.

The top and bottom are causing a bit more difficulty in the color placement.  It doesn't really matter, but I am hesitating to join the blocks until I am sure of my decision.  Since the blocks are not all ready yet, I still have time to think on it.  They were almost symmetrical and not they won't be.  I'm not sure what that didn't bother me on the sides but it does on the top/bottom.  Maybe because it is more visible?  There is no rush, so I will just keep plodding along!  

Just for fun.  This caterpillar would not settle down and form its J in the enclosure on Thursday.  A student had brought it in, so I didn't know where it really was in its cycle like it do with the ones I bring in.  In the afternoon it was on the open zipper.  Not great, but okay.  Was it even ready to form the J or was it searching for milkweed?  When I got back from a meeting I couldn't find it at all.  I kept widening my search perimeter and finally found it on top of the nearby sea turtle skull from The Traveling Turtle Trunk.  Not wanting to touch it, I moved the entire skull into the enclosure and zipped it shut hoping if it did move it would form safely on the mesh.  Imagine our surprise when Friday morning it was hanging from inside the skull!!  The students are concerned that it will not have enough space to open its wings when the time comes.  I am also worried that it will not emerge before it is time to return the Turtle Trunk!  Can't wait to see the chrysalis on Tuesday!

2026 15 Minutes to Stitch

15 minute days this week = 4/7
15 minute days/Aug = 14/31
15 minute days/Sept = 3/5
15 minute days/2026 = 189/248
Success Rate 2026 = 76%

Numbers are still not great, but I'm on the right track and that's okay with me.  I think I am so wrapped up in the blue baby blocks, that I don't have an easy "go to" project and I need that - not just for my numbers but for my sewing "mojo."  Maybe I'll get it figured out this long weekend. 
  
2026 Stash Totals
Used last week: 0 yards
Used year to date: 43.79 yards
Acquired recently: 0 yards  
Acquired year to date: 35 yards
Stash movement for 2026: 1.14 more yards acquired than used

Linking up to:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!