Saturday, September 19, 2026

A Welcome Change

I totally avoided the Baby Blocks quilt this week and it was a glorious feeling to just handle fabric and sew wherever the whim took me.  I am a "make it up as I go along" person and it turns out that's a real thing.  Having to be so careful and precise on fitting in each round of the baby blocks is just not me.  I will get it done, but after a break.

First, I got caught up on the RSC crayons.  Quick, easy, and fun.
All Caught Up!

The next closest project at hand was the random Christmas blocks that were made at least 20 years ago in Guatemala.  The original pattern was for a twin/full size quilt that was all various Christmas themed blocks.  Our sewing group learned several of the blocks and then moved on to another project, so it got set aside.  

Rediscovered Christmas Blocks

I don't have any desire to finish this as originally intended, nor do I have the pattern.  The candy cane blocks are pot holder size, and for as long as they have been up on the design wall I have been thinking pot holders for my daughters as a remembrance of Guatemala.  I emptied my little drawer of Christmas scraps to see about backings and that led to sorting, pressing, and trimming to usable sizes.  That was a good task for several zoom meetings this week.

Glorious Mess

That led me to be more creative with my potholders.  Some of these scraps worked perfectly to add a bit of size and make them more interesting.  I even unsewed the red angel block and used it to frame up a pair of candy canes.  With two blocks done-ish and one ready to sew, I am liking this change of plans.  We'll see where it ends.

Making Changes. Where will it end?

2026 15 Minutes to Stitch

15 minute days this week = 7/7
15 minute days/Sept = 17/19
15 minute days/2026 = 199/260
Success Rate 2026 = 77%

Still creeping ahead slowly.
  
2026 Stash Totals
Used last week: 0 yards
Used year to date: 43.79 yards
Acquired recently: 0 yards  
Acquired year to date: 35 yards
Stash movement for 2026: 1.14 more yards acquired than used

Linking up to:
Kate at lifeinpieces   
Frederique at quiltingpatch
Angela at soscrappy!

10 comments:

  1. Sometimes a project just needs a Time Out. Fun bunch of Christmas blocks and they will make terrific potholders. The crayon blocks are such cheerful fun ones too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sewing should be enjoyable. .. so I'm glad you are giving the Baby Blocks a little break. I love what you are doing with the Christmas project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There have been several times when I need a time out on a project. Working with those pretty Christmas fabrics should refresh you. Unlike you, I need a set plan and pattern. I am not a "see where it takes you" type of person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun to discover a 20 year old project. I'm sure you have some interesting tales about your time in Guatemala.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your RSC crayons look good. What width are you making the strips. Christmas projects already. Aghhh. It’s not far away

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each strip is 2" x 5" and there are 14 of them. I wish I had made them 5.5" but it will still be cute.

      Delete
  6. Sometimes we need a break from those exacting projects. The crayons are really fun. Finding a way to finish up all those older blocks has to feel good. Congrats on all the progress and stitching time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your desire to switch projects reminded me of my cross-stitch ornaments. They take so much concentration! Oh, but that baby quilt is breathtaking! The RSC Crayons are adorable! Yes! That's such a thoughtful idea for you daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you to switch it up & get those blocks made into something useful. Love your RSC crayons! Those have been on my list to do for several years now. Maybe 2027???

    ReplyDelete
  9. Repurposing and reinventing UFOs are a great way to breathe new life into old projects.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!