Friday, June 29, 2018

Friday Finish 062918

Have you ever had one of the "aaaa..." moments?  When you can't quite believe it?  This quilt was that moment for me.  About a year ago Little S saw this block in a sample quilt in the fabric store and asked if I could make it.  Sure, I can make almost anything.  It turned out that I even had a bag of hexagons already cut - they were about 20 years old and cut by hand, but they were there begging to be used.
Little S can hardly hold up "her" quilt.

I am best when making do, so I figured out the rest of it.  I worked away at blocks as Leaders & Enders and finished quite a few.  Since I was working with what I had and didn't have an overall plan it turned out that my colors were not playing well together.  But since the blocks are huge I could separate into better color groups and make several smaller quilts.

Triangles turn the hexagon into a diamond which join to make a panel.

This week the red, yellow, blue, green group got the attention.  I was pretty nervous when it came time to join the hexagons.  I made the triangles larger than needed so I would have some wiggle room. That helped. 
The half hexagons started as 4/6 ths of a hexie.
Top - Needs trimming, Middle - Ready to join.  Bottom - Panel is done!
YES!  They are going to line up.

I floated it with a white border on all four sides and then auditioned outer borders.  The red polka dots and blue seemed to be just right for framing it up.  It needs a good ironing, but I had to hurry to take advantage of the evening sun to get photos that showed the true colors.

The obligatory rail fence photo!
Disclaimer: I did not design this block and I am not trying to take credit for a amazing idea.  I have looked on-line for this pattern/design, but have not found it. We saw it in a sample quilt at Joanns, so next time I am there I need to see if there is information for who to credit the design to.  The layout is my idea though since we only saw a block of the original quilt and not the entire quilt.

Linking up to Confessions of a Fabric Addict to show off finishes.

2 comments:

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!