Friday, May 11, 2018

Friday Finish for Mother's Day

I had seen weaving around a painting canvas at the facility where my father is.  Some of the ladies had made small ones and they were displayed just as a weaving.  I thought that had great potential, but it had to marinate a month or so before I figured it out.
1.5" strips woven over a canvas.
We had wanted to do silhouettes of the students for a Mother's Day gift.  We already had the 8 x 10 canvasses since we had not used them for the Art Show as planned.  What a perfect combination.  At least in my mind it was perfect.

Love the braid.
I did the math and cut tons of 1.5" strips in a variety of florals.  I tried to stay with relatively light backgrounds.
Every canvas is different.
The kids chose their strips trying to not have duplicates.  I stapled one end to the canvas for the horizontal strips and then the vertical strips.

Our surfer dude!
Then the kids worked at weaving.  We made the weaving last 2 days and that took the pressure off of all of us.  They had a lot of fun.  Several of them called the canvas their "pillow."  I stapled the other end down when they were ready.  If they staple didn't go all the way in they got out the wooden toy hammer and finished it up!
The pony tail came out fantastic.
The silhouettes ended up being much easier than I thought they would be.  I took photos of each child and then printed them 8 x 10 in B&W.  Using painters tape I attached the photo copy to black card stock and then cut through both layers carefully with my super sharp scrapbook scissors.  The kids has so much fun trying to guess who was who.  The big surprise was that our non-idental twins actually have an identical chin/lip/nose combination.
Awwww.
We used a watered down glue solution brushed on and weighted them down from the back side to dry.  With a few exceptions it stuck well within 24 hours.

I love them.  I think I need to start a new business.

Linking up to Confessions of a Fabric Addict and Crazy Mom Quilts to show off finishes.

2 comments:

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!