Friday, August 4, 2017

Friday Finish- College Prep

Hard to believe but we are down to less than a week. Middle E will always be Middle E, but next Thursday she will officially become College E.  She was just a cute little baby not so long ago.  How did this happen?
Pillow

I mentioned in a previous post that I worked on college quilts this summer, but I still haven't gotten them written up.  Today I will show you my most recent finish - personalized towels and a pillow.
It is nice when things turn out like you imagine!

When we first moved to the States a woman in the quilt guild I joined gave me an old embroidery machine with all the attachments that she had accumulated.  She herself did amazing embroidery work and had upgraded long ago to a monster of a machine that did everything.

Coral & peach under the needle

This little machine doesn't do much but that works for me.  I am not good with lots of bells and whistles anyways.  I have 7 fonts, 3 sizes - small, smaller, and smallest!, and a single monogram.
I really like this color combination

After choosing thread colors and fonts I got to work.  I don't have to operate the machine, but I do have to be attentive.  The thread bunched up on the pillow front when I was distracted and turned into a huge mess that forever to unsew the previous evening.
Moving along nicely

I set it aside to think on and when I got back to it I went together very nicely.  I added ruffled trim and an extension to the ends of the pillow body.  Then made a casing in the ends of the extensions.  Ran ribbon through the casings and VOILA!  A tube covering that is pretty darn cute.  It is simple but matches the bedding set she chose and if she changes bedding it has a chance of still matching something.
 Turquoise & sea foam green set is all finished

The towels were done relatively easily.  The only mistake was when I spelled her name wrong and didn't catch it til it was sewing the wrong letter.  This machine does not have a very large working area so for longer name I have to move the hoop and do the name in sections trying my best to get it all lined up correctly.  The toweling was pretty forgiving about that and I don't think the "break" is too noticeable.
Gifted microfiber beach towel

Next up  - towels for nieces and a friend's kids.  Hoping to get them all done this weekend.  I guess we are in the stage where everyone is off to college.



Check back on Monday to see Middle E's College Quilt.

Linking up to  Confessions of a Fabric Addict to show off finishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!