Sunday, September 11, 2016

Stash is in the Red - Figuratively, Not Quite Literally

091116

On our Hurricane Day I went thrifting with my sister.  A first.  I love thrifting but it's not really her thing.  We were on the hunt for shorts and pants for our dad in memory care who tends to go through clothes faster than laundry gets done.  


We hit the jackpot at the first stop - pjs, 4 long pants and 8 shorts for about $30. Labor Day weekend everything was half off!!  I only go there on holiday weekends or end of the month for that very reason.  That was how I did "back to school" for the girls on our small budget as well. 

My sister was willing to make another stop even though we were no longer on the hunt for dad. That stop was not so good - for my stash.  It's a small thrift shop but they have a "room" dedicated to crafts.  Today there were bundles of red cotton.  Seems like all the same dye lot even.  I tend to go through lots of red and I have a project with red coming up for school.  You really can't go wrong with a good red.  So I got them all.  
Turns out there was an average of 2 yds in the $1 bundles on the top of the pile and an average of 5 yds in the $2 bundles on the bottom.  The largest bundle was 100" Wide.  Wowsers! I can use that for a backing.
Also turns out I was not charged for this yellow stripe which was over 2 yds.  
I got this cute 1/2 yd bundle for a quarter!!! Jo over at Jo's Country Junction collects firemen stuff and I was already working on a package to send her childcare kiddos.   So that is already out and doesn't count either way.  Whew ! 

The damage is bad - 23.13 yards - but good - $0.39/yard - for fabric I know I will use.   I don't think I have ever purchased that much fabric at one time so I am in shock even though it was so, so cheap. I really, really need to get going sewing.

Fabric Used/Out This Week: 0 yards
Fabric Used/Out in 2016: 54.69 yards


Fabric In This Week:  23.13 yards solid red and yellow stripe
Fabric In 2016: 54.67 yards
 

Net Used 2016:  0.02 yards

Staying accountable with Judy over at Patchwork Times.

4 comments:

  1. You are actually .02 in the black not the red. Great purchases!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops. The shock had me crossing my numbers. Thanks for catching that.

      Delete
  2. Hard to pass all that red up for that kind of price. You still have a bit of the year to get solidly back into the black.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!