Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Is this worth fixing?

My dad is in assisted living   It's an apartment situation with lots of oversight and an emergency button, etc.  My sisters and I have divided up the various responsibilities that he needs in order to keep his as independent and mobile as possible.

One if my jobs is the sewing and mending.  Summer has come to Florida so he got out his shortie pjs and they don't stay up because the elastic is shot. 

These have been fixed at least twice.  Looks like new elastic once and tucks another time.  I know my mother was biting her tongue by the second fix. 
This one looks worse but is actually the easier repair.  These were my grandfather's and he has been gone probably 20 years.  So I'm going to guess a good 30-40 years of wear   I found the cut off sleeves in my mothers stash and I worked that fabric into my scrappy mountains majesties quilt.
When I suggested we get new pajamas he started to cry.  As soon as I said it I knew it was the wrong thing, since the anniversary of my mother's passing was this past month. 

Earlier in the visit we had been talking about employees who cry in front of their employers to try to change an outcome.  So I told him that since he cried I would make the repairs.  Then he laughed.  

So I will be mending this weekend!!

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet story! I love how sewing can nurture others in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!