Thursday, December 31, 2015

Throwback Thursday

Vintage Christmas Stockings

My mother's oldest sister made this stocking for me for my first Christmas. 
The original.


It's debut in 1962.

1963
My mother copied it for my siblings and then the in-laws and then the grandchildren.  No pattern. She just worked from whichever stocking she had access too when the need arose. So they are similar but unique. 
My family's variations!
My older nephew's was the last one she made and delivered herself 4 years ago.  So when my brother and sister-in-law announced last year that they were expecting they were afraid that the new baby would be without Grandma's stocking.  

My mother was a wise woman.  Turns out that she left a blank Christmas stocking in her knitting stash which I have along with the fabric/sewing stash.  It did not have a name so that was left to me, the family seamstress.  I don't knit so it was harder than it should have been.  Finally, in despair I just embroidered it on with yarn and a daisy chain stitch.  It is even more different than the others but that will be part of its story. 

When my sisters examined the finished product they agreed that my mother must have made this one shortly after my nephew's.  She was in a slow decline at that time and I'm sure she anticipated the need in the future and made it while she was able. 

Which brings us to the present.  Does anyone have a pattern for these stockings?  We know that there are others out there but have been unsuccessful locating a pattern.

I was looking at new (to me) quilting/sewing blogs and found My Quilt Infatuation.  Looks like fun so I'm linking up to Needle & Thread Thursday over at my quilt infatuation

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know what you think!